Kent Bye (Voices of VR) on Truth, Reality, and the Human Experience (Part 1)
Kent Bye is the creator and host of the Voices of VR podcast. He’s recorded more than a thousand interviews featuring the pioneering artists, storytellers, and technologists driving the resurgence of virtual & augmented reality.
Kent is a philosopher, oral historian, and experiential journalist helping to define the patterns of immersive storytelling, experiential design, and the ultimate potential of XR.
He’s speaking about the ethical & moral dilemmas of mixed reality at the 2019 AWE conference happening later this month, and he was a co-organizer of the VR Privacy Summit at Stanford University in 2018.
I split my conversation with Kent into two parts. In this first part, I discovered Kent is exploring deep, foundational questions about truth, reality, and the human experience. He looks at VR and AR through the lens of the potential positive and negative impacts on those three elements.
He’s also pondering the ethical and moral dilemmas surrounding information technology and is putting together a framework to help people understand them and make better decisions.
We start with Kent describing how he went from being radar systems engineer to podcaster and philosopher.
Kent makes a ton of references, and I tried to capture them all below.
If you like what you hear, please subscribe, rate, and review the podcast from your favorite player.
Links From The Episode
- Person: Dr. Anita Allen - UPenn Law School Professor and President of the American Philosophical Association (Eastern Division)
- Person/Podcast: Internet Co-Inventor Vint Cerf on Decentralized Internet Challenges on the Voices of VR (Wikipedia on Vint Cerf)
- AWE Session: Virtual World Society Present Kent Bye on “The Ethical & Moral Dilemmas of Mixed Reality”
- SXSW Session: Virtual Humanity: Designing Ethical Immersive Worlds with Kent Bye, Rori Duboff, and Jessica Lauretti
- Conference: Laval Virtual held annually in April in Laval, France.
- Person/Podcast: Sam Roberts on the Future of Play as Immersive & Experiential on the Voices of VR podcast
- Person/Podcast: Sarah Downey on VR as the Most Powerful Surveillance Technology or Last Bastion of Privacy on the Voices of VR podcast (Road To VR article too)
- Person: Lawrence Lessig and his personal website. Podcast featuring these principles: Tech, Law, Culture, & Markets: A Holistic Look at the Decentralized Web Summit on the Voices of VR podcast.
- Concept: Restorative Justice
- Person/Podcast: Jaron Lanier – a “founding father of VR” who was a guest on the Voices of VR podcast: Jaron Lanier’s Journey into VR: “Dawn of the New Everything”. Also his personal website and Youtube video on the future of VR
- Person: Tom Furness – the “Godfather of VR” and an interview by Steve Bambury inside VR
- Person: Asad J. Malik, Augmented Reality artist and CEO of 1RIC, created A Jester’s Tale with pop-start Poppy
- VR Game: Superhot VR
- Person: Jeri Ellsworth former co-founder of CastAR
- Concept: An Elemental Theory of Presence - Kent’s construct shown in a graph and discussed in a podcast episode: An Elemental Theory of Presence + Future of AI & Interactive Storytelling on the Voices of VR podcast
- Book: The Alphabet Versus the Goddess: The Conflict Between Word and Image by Leonard Shlain. Also the book website and Youtube video
- Book: The Ever-Present Origin by Jean Gebser
- Article: Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Development on Simply Psychology
- Book: Seeing Through the World: Jean Gebser and Integral Consciousness by Jeremy D Johnson
- Book: Process and Reality by Alfred North Whitehead
- Article: Process Philosophy Overview on the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Books: by Carlo Rovelli - The Order of Time, Reality Is Not What It Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity, Seven Brief Lessons on Physics. Youtube video on The Order of Time
- Book: The Idea of the World: A Multi-Disciplinary Argument for the Mental Nature of Reality by Bernardo Kastrup
- Book: The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Mind by Brian McLaughlin, Ansgar Beckermann, and Sven Walter
- Book: Proof and Other Dilemmas: Mathematics and Philosophy by Bonnie Gold
- Support Kent Bye and the Voices of VR podcast on Patreon