Ted Schilowitz (Paramount) on the Magic Leap One and the Potential of AR (Part 1)
Ted Schilowitz is a Futurist at Paramount Pictures, where he explores the future of media and technology, and tries to suss out where things are headed. Prior to Paramount, Ted held a similar role at 20th Century Fox.
Throughout his career, Ted has successfully moved back and forth between creating live-action content and creating better tools to make that content. For example, Ted came to Fox from RED, the digital camera company. There he was the first employee and chief product evangelist responsible for convincing Hollywood studios and directors that digital was the future.
Prior to that, he founded another hardware technology company that supported the creative development process. That one is now part of Western Digital. He was also a producer and director, and started a successful production company.
When you put all of those experiences together, the title of “Futurist” at Paramount Pictures seems appropriate.
This is the first of two parts of my conversation with Ted. In this first part, Ted and I talk about where his passion comes from, and the difference between immersive and spatial entertainment.
He shares why current VR is good, but not nearly good enough, to reach its potential. We also explore Ted’s perspective on the current crop of AR smartglasses, including his take on Magic Leap. He advises us to be patient and is very hopeful for where they are going in the future.
We recorded this interview in person on the Paramount Studios lot in Hollywood, California. I think you’ll love this one.
If you like what you hear, please subscribe, rate, and review the podcast from your favorite player.
Links From The Episode
- Ted Schilowitz on being a "glorified lab rat" and predicting the future (ibc.org)
- Sports, Movies, TV, Broadcasts On Cusp Of Dramatic Change (by Charlie Fink writing for Forbes)
- Intel launches motion capture studio in LA to bring cinematic VR to Hollywood studios (Techcrunch)
- Leading tech figures declare Israel the 'epicenter of magic' (Heritage Florida Jewish News)
- Nexus Trilogy Book 1: Nexus - Install by Ramez Nexus
- Nexus Trilogy Book 2: Crux - Upgrade by Ramez Nexus
- Nexus Trilogy Book 3: Apex - Connect by Ramez Nexus
- Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
- Future Crimes: Inside the Digital Underground and the Battle for Our Connected World by Marc Goodman