Tony Parisi (Unity) on How Smartglasses Will Evolve and Unity’s Expanding Embrace
Tony Parisi is a pioneer of virtual reality, a serial entrepreneur and an angel investor. He is the co-creator of 3D graphics standards, including VRML, X3D and glTF, the new file format standard for 3D web and mobile applications. Tony is also the author of O’Reilly Media’s books on Virtual Reality and WebGL: Learning Virtual Reality (2015), Programming 3D Applications in HTML5 and WebGL (2014), and WebGL Up and Running (2012).
Tony has become one of the leading spokespeople for the immersive industry, speaking on industry trends and technology innovations in virtual and augmented reality at numerous industry conferences. He was recently named #4 in Next Reality’s 30 People to Watch in Augmented Reality in 2018.
Tony is currently Head of VR and AR Brand Solutions at Unity Technologies, where he oversees the company’s strategy for virtual and augmented reality brand advertising and monetization.
In this conversation, Tony lays out where we are in the cycles for VR and AR, and the trajectory in front of us. He reflects on the early days of the smartphone and anticipates parallels for smartglasses.
Tony goes on to talk about how Unity is embracing use cases beyond games. He also describes the amazing reach of the Unity advertising platform, as well as the current AR-focused experimentation happening there. Tony starts with a reflection on what he saw at Sundance this year.
If you like what you hear, please subscribe, rate, and review the podcast from your favorite player.
Links From The Episode
- Blog Post: The New Pioneers by Tony Parisi
- Article: Roger Ross Williams’ VR Doc ‘Traveling While Black’ Debuts at Sundance by Variety
- Site: Felix and Paul Studios
- Article: Colin Farrell Boards Sundance-Bound VR Series ‘Gloomy Eyes’Atlas VR’s project page
- Project page: The Dial by Peter Flaherty features 3D projection mapping and AR. Creator’s page
- Project page: Grisaille by Teek Mach
- Wikipedia: The Days of Perky Pat summary
- iTunes: Putt Putt World - AR Mini Golf by Superstar Games
- iTunes: IKEA Place
- Article: CSR Racing 2 Receives a new AR Mode with Photorealistic Car Rendering by AR Critic
- Article: Wonderscope Is The First AR App From Within by Upload VR
- Site: Unity Brand Advertising & Experiences SDK
- Book: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
- Tony’s blog on Medium