Mike Boland (ARtillery Intelligence) on the Motivations and Machinations of the Major Players in AR
Mike Boland is the Founder & Chief Analyst of ARtillery Intelligence, Editor of AR Insider, Lead Analyst of Street Fight, and the President of the San Francisco chapter of the VR/AR Association.
Earlier in his career, Mike was one of Silicon Valley's first tech reporters focused on the internet as a staff reporter for Forbes magazine starting in 2000. And he has been a tech industry analyst at top-tier research firms since 2005.
Mike is a frequent speaker at industry conferences [such as Augmented World Expo, VRLA, and ad:tech. He has authored more than 120 market forecasts and in-depth reports on the tech & media landscape including social, mobile and AR. He contributes regularly to news sites such as TechCrunch, Business Insider, VentureBeat and the Huffington Post, and he gets quoted in publications such as The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times.
Mike is a trusted source and very insightful. That becomes clear in this conversation too.
Here we explore the markets and market forecasts for mobile AR and smartglasses. We talk about Apple’s motivations and plans. And we discuss Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Snap, trying to guess where they might be going based on their motivations and past behavior.
Mike draws lessons from the smartphone era and applies them to what’s happening today, and where we’ll be in 2023. He recalls it took several years for truly native thinking to emerge – where designers took full advantage of the interactions and capabilities that were unique to mobile phones.
We also get into pass-through video versus optical see-through smartglasses.
This was a really fun conversation, and I think you’ll love it.
Links From The Episode
- Site: AR Insider
- AWE Session Video: Mike Boland (ARtillery Intelligence): Where will the Big Five Take Spatial Computing?
- Video: Michael Abrash at Oculus Connect 5 in Sep 2018
- Book: The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
- Book: Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
- Article: What Kurt Vonnegut’s “Slaughterhouse-Five” Tells Us Now By Salman Rushdie in The New Yorker
- Book: Convergence, How The World Will Be Painted With Data by Charlie Fink, contribution by Mike Boland and others
- Episode Transcript
- Episode Summary by Mike Boland at AR Insider